Annville Historic Train Station
In the 1890’s, the Reading Railroad began passenger service to Annville by building the Annville Train Station on Railroad Street just to the East of Lebanon Valley College. The original station was in operation from 1891 to 1969. It sat vacant until 1976, at which time Mr. Ron Rabena purchased the Annville Station from the Reading Railroad, dismantled it entirely, and transported it to his property in the New Cumberland area. Rabena rebuilt the station, shortening its walls by 3-4 feet, and creating the Buck Ridge Model Railroad Station to house and display his model train exhibits.
After 22 years of running Buck Ridge, Rabena sold the station to Friends of Old Annville in 1998. Led by Blanche Schaeffer and Kathy Moe, FOOA raised the money to purchase, move, and reconstruct the Annville Train Station at 155 North Moyer Street in Annville on track-side land owned by Eagle Graphics Incorporated. FOOA, supported by a grant from the Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development and by donations from local citizens, rebuilt and restored the station to its original height and original appearance. The project was completed and the station was officially re-opened in June, 2000. The restored station does have a full basement that was not present in the original structure. A festive community work day was used to lay a short track in front of the station, and a donated railroad side car was then placed on the track. The Kiwanis Club of Annville-Cleona rebuilt and restored the side car (see picture at left) in May, 2008.
Friends of Old Annville uses the train station as its official headquarters, for the regular meetings of both the FOOA and the Quittie Creek Nature Park Committee, and for some of the programs sponsored by FOOA. A local model train group uses the station periodically for building and displaying model train exhibits. The Train Station is open to visitors upon request and is available for dinners, parties, and meetings.
Please write Friends of Old Annville, P.O. Box 99, Annville 17003, or call (717) 867-4326 for information.