Nevin and Eileen Hoover were awarded Friends of Old Annville’s 2011 Historic Building Awardfor their restoration of their fire-damaged historic home at 125 West Main Street. (Pictures show two views of the rennovated home and FOOA President Owen Moe awarding the plaque to the Hoovers at the November 2011 annual dinner meeting of FOOA.) The original Marshall home, a log structure built in the early 1800’s, is an Annville landmark. The Historic Building Award, consisting of an engraved bronze plaque, is given annually for a major restoration/rehabilitation of a historic building in Annville.
The Hoover home was extensively damaged in a fire in April, 2010 and we feared our town might lose this key historic building. Undaunted, the Hoovers moved forward, and the renovation work was carried out by Reynolds Restoration Services of Harrisburg.
The first owner, John G. Marshall was born in Annville in 1793 to Dr. David and Elizabeth Marshall in a large wood-frame house which once stood at 21 W. Main Street. His grandfather, Didier Marshall, was one of the first settlers to come to Annville, arriving around 1740. Shortly after his marriage to Elizabeth Behm in 1823, John signed a deed dated April 3, 1824, to purchase two lots at 125-127 West Main Street. It is unclear, however, whether he built the present house or moved in to the home of Steven Rigler listed on the property in the 1820 Census. Like his father before him, John served as a physician in Annville, conducting his practice from the home, which also housed 11 people in 1840. The home also served as the offices of another Annville physician, Dr. Warren Brubaker, in the mid 1900’s.
A quote from the 1899 history of Annville by Elijah Bierman describes this home and owner in 1839: “A few doors farther west on the northeast corner of Main street and Letitia alley we find Dr. John G. Marshall’s comfortable home and office, and as we enter we are courteously received by the genial doctor and tendered a seat. Dr. Marshall born February 10, 1793, died December 13, 1846, is forty-six years of age, a graduate of the medical department of the University of Pennsylvania, class of 1819, the senior in years and practice of his medical associates of the town, and by instinct and training an eminently successful member of the healing art. To set a broken limb or to amputate a malignant or crushed member of the body is his forte and delight. His practice is extensive in town and country. He is a son of David Marshall, born January 21, 1749, died September 4, 1832, who was a successful doctor here for many years.”