Sunday, April 15 at 2 PM at the Stone Pumphouse Building on Spruce Street.
When did running water, delivered by underground pipes first come to the homes in Annville? Where did the drinking water come from? Why were public and private wells prohibited in Annville after the introduction of commercial drinking water?
Come and learn the answers to these questions at the 2018 Spring Program of Friends of Old Annville. Owen Moe will speak about the history of the Annville Water Company, a privately held company that delivered drinking water to Annville from 1890 to 1973, before eventually selling out to Annville Township.
Learn about competing water companies owned by prominent citizens of Annville, protracted legal battles, artesian wells, the great Annville conflagration in 1921, Penryth Springs, and much more. The slide show program will be held at 2 PM on Sunday, April 15, in the stone pump house building on Spruce Street in Annville, just south of the bridge crossing the Quittie. The pump house has a large stone parking lot available for this program.
After the program, all interested persons can take a short guided walk from the pump house to see the remains of a weir dam used at one time to power the water company’s large pumps. We will also view the overflow conduit from Penryth Spring and the still-existing water line from Penryth, running along the shore of the Quittie to the pump house on Spruce Street.
The accompanying picture shows the interior of the Annville Water Company’s underground vault that encloses the Penryth Spring, located along the Quittie just east of Spruce Street. Note the crystal-clear water inside of the concrete vault that is no longer used as a source of water for Annville.
Hope to see you on April 15.